Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Other old San Diego County train stations

This information came from Journal of San Diego History and San Diego Travel Tips CARLSBAD station now houses the Carlsbad Chamber of Commerce and is still located in the original location. This station was built in 1887 and was originally called "Carl" to avoid confusion with Carlsbad, New Mexico. The station was used by Santa Fe until 1960 at which time it was acquired by the City of Carlsbad, CA.
DEL MAR station was built in 1910 and is all brick. The original station was located along Camno del Mar at 9th Street. It was moved to its current location at Coast Blvd. between 15th and 17th Street. The station sits on 2.8 acres and served Del Mar from 1910 to 1995. In 1995, Amtrak stopped serving Del Mar. Currently the station is owned by Catellus Development Company of Newport Beach, CA
ENCINITAS station with its gingerbread-Victorian style architecture was built in 1887. The building served passengers into the 1950's and finally closed in January, 1969. It was relocated to Leucadia in 1972. The Encinitas station was picked up for $1 from the Santa Fe Railway in the 1970's to become a center for arts and crafts shop. In 1980 Pannikin Coffee and Tea took over the spot and restore it to its original beauty.
ESCONDIDO station was built in 1887 and served the city from 1888 to 1945 with passenger service and until 1981 with freight operations. City preservationists rallied enough support to purchase and move the building to Grape Day Park in 1985.
FALLBROOK and OCEANSIDE are no longer in existence. Fallbrook was torn down in the 1970's. The old Oceanside station was torn down in the 1940's and the newer depot was dedicated in 1946, but does not appear to be there any longer. VISTA station was constructed in 1913 and used for passenger service until the early 1940's. The station was moved to its present location in 1981.

No comments:

Post a Comment